Let’s start the tutorial on how to construct the Women’s Vintage Swimsuit part of this 12.5 inch block.
Part 2: Women’s Vintage Swimsuit
To understand which sections we are referring to in the tutorial, below is a friendly diagram of the quilt block.
Construct Women’s Section EE – Bottom Section of the Women’s Bathing Suit
- Cut 1 – Women’s Bathing Suit Bottom from the Bordeaux Fabric
- Cut – 13 Peach Sand templates provided in the Women’s Bathing Suit printable. The 13 Peach Sand Pattern Pieces are labeled WOMEN-L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X, to reference where to stitch them.
- Stitch the Peach Sand WOMEN-M & N triangle pieces to the lower left and right edges of the Bordeaux Women’s Bathing Suit Bottom.
- Stitch the Peach Sand WOMEN-O & P triangle pieces to the upper left and right edges of the Bordeaux Women’s Bathing Suit Bottom.
- That completes Women’s Bathing Suit Section FF. Carefully press and Set Aside.
Construct Women’s Section FF – White Belt Section of the Women’s Bathing Suit
- Cut 1 – 1.5 inches x 4.5 inches White Fabric for Waist White Belt
- Cut 2 – 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches Peach Sand Fabric (Representing Q & R)
- Stitch Peach Sand Women- Q & R Square pieces (2 Peach Sand cut 1.5 inches by 1/5 inches) to either side of the White Women’s Bathing Suit Waist Belt.
- Section FF is complete. This section needs to be squared up prior to attaching the white belt. In this example I only square the top on the bottom piece before attaching the white belt. Carefully press.
- Join Women’s Section EE to section FF. Carefully press and set aside.
Construct Women’s Section GG – Bodice Section of the Women’s Bathing Suit
- Cut 1 – Lower Bodice from pattern piece out of the Daydream Blue Fabric
- Cut 1 – Upper Bodice from pattern piece out of the White Fabric
- Stitch Peach Sand Triangles S & T to the left and right lower corners of the Lower Bodice Daydream Blue.
- Stitch the Upper White and Lower Daydream Blue Bodice pieces together.
- Stitch the Peach Sand Triangles U & V to the left and right top corners of the Upper Bodice of White Fabric and part of the Lower Bodice of Daydream Blue Fabric.
- Section Bodice GG is complete. Carefully press and set aside
Construct Women’s Section HH – Straps Section of the Women’s Bathing Suit
- Cut 2 – 1.5 inches x 3 inches for left and right Women’s Straps from White Fabric
- Cut 1 – 2 7/8 inches x 3 inches for the center square between the two white straps from Peach Sand Fabric
- Cut 2 – 2 inches x 3 inches for the left and right rectangles of either side of the two white straps from Peach Sand Fabric
- Cut 1 – 3 inch x 3 inch square of Peach Sand Fabric to represent template @
- Stitch the Peach Sand Square Women’s W (3 inch x 3 inch square of Peach Sand Fabric) to the center of the two straps
- Stitch the Peach Sand Rectangles Women’s W & X to the left and right sides of the straps.
- Section Swimming Suit Straps HH is complete. Carefully press and set aside.
Finish Joining the Women’s sections together in the following order
- Join Women’s Section FF to section GG. Carefully press
- Join Women’s Section GG to section HH. Carefully press.
- The Women’s Bathing Suit part of the block is now complete and will need to be carefully squared up to 6.5 inches by 12.5 inches.
Join the Women’s Bathing Suit to the Men’s Bathing Suit by stitching together after carefully pinning using a 1/4 inch seam.
Carefully press block. Sit back and admire. You have done a great job!
Please comment below, I can’t wait to hear from all of you! Where have you enjoyed an ocean sunrise or sunset. All of the blocks from the entire group are AMAZING! Can’t you imagine one of these blocks extra large size as one quilt? Want to see more Vintage Bathing Suits and Ocean Quilt Blocks? I will be posting more – sign up for Stitches Quilting email list to have them delivered to your inbox! Which blocks from the entire 2016 Paintbrush Studio Blog Hop do you think would pair up great with the Vintage Bathing Suits? Can you image this block with other colors or fabric selection? I can’t wait to hear your creative ideas?
Now don’t stop here…. there are many more innovative Ocean Sunrise quilt blocks and full tutorials to see on the 2016 Paintbrush Studio Blog Hop! . To view the blocks visually and quickly you can use the Stitches Quilting Pinterest Board I created below for the Blog Hop.
Host: Stephanie @Late Night Quilter
Vicki @Orchid Owl Quilts; Shelly @The Carpenter’s Daughter Who Quilts; Amy @13 Spools; Geraldine @Living Water Quilter; Robyn @Hoops & Thimbles; Jan @The Colorful Fabriholic; Sharla @Thistle Thicket Studio; Jinger @Trials of a Newbie Quilter; Kathryn @Kupitis; Jane @Jolly and Delilah; Josi @Avocado Quilts; Deanna @Stitches Quilting; Lori @SewPsyched!; Jayne @Twiggy and Opal
MONDAY MARCH 28TH
Host: Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
Jess @Quilty Habit, Silvia @A Stranger View, Cristy @Love You Sew, Kelly @Quilting It Out, Renee @Quilts of a Feather, Bernie @Needle and Foot, Terri Ann @Childlike Fascination, Chelsea @Patch the Giraffe, Mary @Quilting is in my Blood, Diana @Red Delicious Life, Sarah @123 Quilt
Host: Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs
Kim @Leland Ave Studios; Andrea @The Sewing Fools; Cassandra @The (not so) Dramatic Life; Stephanie @Quilt’n Party; Irene @Patchwork and Pastry; Tish @Tish’s Adventures in Wonderland; Abby @Hashtag Quilt; Sarah @Smiles Too Loudly; Carrie @The Zen Quilter; Wanda @Wanda’s Life Sampler